Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Joe Doerksen Released By The UFC

mmanews.tk

Joe Doerksen is the latest casualty as the UFC continues to trim its roster of fighters. The UFC released the Winnipeg middleweight from his contract following a second-round loss to Red Deer, Alta.’s Jason MacDonald on April 19 in Montreal.

After falling to MacDonald at the Bell Centre, the writing was on the wall for Doerksen, whose loss was his third in a row in the Octagon (the first was with the WEC, also owned by Zuffa, the UFC’s parent company). But he wasn’t disappointed.

“(The UFC officials) made it very clear they’re very happy with the way I fight and they want me to come back,” Doerksen said. “But they need me to go put a couple of wins together (first).”

“It’s always a possibility whenever you lose,” Doerksen said. “I’ve come and gone several times over my career and I’m sure I’ll be back again. It’s not really devastating news. It’s just the cycle I have to go through.”

Doerksen (38-12) will be helping Jeremy Horn prepare for his preliminary bout against Dean Lister at The Ultimate Fighter 7 Finale on June 21st before returning to active competition later this summer.