Thursday, April 24, 2008

Charles McCarthy retires from MMA

mmanews.tk

UFC fighter Charles "Chainsaw" McCarthy, who suffered a TKO loss to Michael Bisping at this past Saturday's UFC 83 event, has announced his retirement as a mixed-martial-arts fighter.

The 27-year-old fighter confirmed the retirement in a prepared statement picked up by MMAWeekly.com.

McCarthy will remain involved in MMA and will continue running and teaching at his American Top Team affiliate, Ultimate Self Defense Academy, in Boca Raton, Fla.

"I would like to announce my formal retirement from [MMA] competition," McCarthy wrote. "I have achieved many of the goals I set out to accomplish in this sport and found others just out of reach. It is now time for me to lay down my gloves and rededicate my attention towards my business, my fighters, my family and my team.

"The successes I have found in my career are due in large part to all the great people who have helped me along the way. Being involved with the true champions at American Top Team has guided me to become a better father, husband, teacher and friend. Without the great generosity of ATT, my life would have had a void. I hope that everyone reading [this] can one day feel the love of a great family as I have."

McCarthy (10-5 MMA, 1-2 UFC) began his professional MMA career in July 2003 with the Absolute Fighting Championships organization, where he spent most of his career. He made his octagon debut at UFC 53 and suffered a TKO (via flying spinning back kick) to David Loiseau.

McCarthy then earned a spot on "The Ultimate Fighter 4," which was a special "comeback" season of the reality show that aired in 2006. However, the reclusive McCarthy earned the nickname "Captain Miserable" for his generally depressive attitude during the series. He suffered a unanimous decision loss to Pete Sell in the tournament's opening round but defeated Gideon Ray via first-round submission at the show's live finale.

After more than a 17-month layoff, he returned this past weekend at UFC 83. McCarthy suffered a TKO loss after an injured arm prohibited from answering the bell for the second round.