Thursday, July 10, 2008

Anderson Silva Says Machida Deserves The 205 Belt


There has been recent speculation that Anderson Silva might challenge for the UFC light heavyweight title, but it seems that “The Spider” isn’t really interested in it, not as long as his training partner, and close friend Lyoto Machida is in the 205 picture. Silva has always shown that he’s loyal to his friends, and this quote just shows you that’s the case again:

“[Fighting at 205 pounds] is an experience we are doing for several reasons, and one of them is a request from Dana White…. I don’t have a desire to fight in this category and am only doing it because I was asked and I think I can. I have no desire to dispute this belt because Lyoto has already proven that it belongs to him. I am taking this fight because I like to fight and I like the challenges.”

Unfortunately for Machida, almost every fighter offered to fight him as declined due to various reasons, and with his marketability not as high as either Chuck Liddell or Rashad Evans, look for them to fight for the title first against light heavyweight champ Forrest Griffin. Machida is going to be stuck under a number of more marketable fighters including Rampage Jackson, Wanderlei Silva, and even Brandon Vera. It’s not fair to the undefeated fighter, but it is what it is.